The Department of Sociology operates and maintains a computer lab for the use of graduate students in the department. This page contains information on the available University wide IT resources as well as the resources available in the graduate lab.
Have a different question not answered below? View the computer lab FAQ.
University Wide Resources
- Ref Works online citation manager
- Homewood Student Virtual Desktop service – myJlab
- Other Helpful Links
- Secure Connections – VPN
- Hopkins Technology Store
- Software Distribution and Licensing Center @ JHU
- Discounted Academic Software for faculty, staff and students [Restricted access, requires JHED ID and password to sign in]
- Adobe Connect – web-conferencing
- Wireless @ JHU
- JHBox (for faculty and staff) and OneDrive (for faculty, staff and students)
Graduate Computer Lab – Mergenthaler Hall 534:
The lab is administrated by Rick Sanchez. He can be reached by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 667-208-7169.
- NO commercial software is to be installed on lab machines, except by lab personnel.
- Please check with the lab personnel before downloading any freeware. Any software of this kind should be removed by each user when they are done and the lab personnel notified.
- Tampering with current machine setups will not be tolerated.
- NO foreign hardware is to be used with lab machines without the express permission of the systems administrator.
- Admission to this lab is granted only to those who are faculty, staff, or graduate students in the Department of Sociology or by express permission of the Department.
- Students will not allow any person into the lab unless you know that they have been granted access.
- All users are expected to clean up after themselves. If trash removal becomes a problem, food and drink will not be allowed it the lab.
- Any action that violates state or federal laws, JHU’s Computing Ethics Policy or the Department’s Computing policy is strictly prohibited. Policies for use of technology resources are posted at: http://it.jhu.edu/policies
- Sociology Network Home Folder Content Rules (PDF)
- The lab will be closed every Friday from 8-9pm for routine cleaning and maintenance.
Failure to comply with the above rules will result in denial of access to the lab. Cases involving violations of University policy or applicable laws will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.
- Hardware Computers: The Department of Sociology maintains a PC based network. Our PC Lan servers are Windows based. The computer lab is equipped with 8 Dell desktops running current versions of Windows OS. All workstations have Re-Writable CD/DVD ROM drives and accessible USB ports for key chain (memory stick) use. A scanner is attached to one of the desktops. Printers: The lab is equipped with two Laserjet printers. Loaner equipment: A tablet laptop and a portable projector are available from the main office upon request.
There is a variety of software available for use in the computer lab. If you would like to make suggestions or requests for additional software please send e-mail to Rick Sanchez. Most of the products listed below have a link to a site where you can either obtain information on using the product or on acquiring it for home use. Software is available on all machines unless otherwise noted. If you would like to purchase software for home use you can find out what’s available through the Hopkins ITS software catalog.
General Statistical Packages Networking Microsoft Office – Word, Excel, Access and Powerpoint Stata– Stage graphics editor and Stat-Transfer Firefox Endnote/Refworks HLM Internet Explorer Adobe Acrobat – PDF viewer or writer Lisrel Filezilla – FTP utility Microsoft Forefront Endpoint Protection SAS SSH/SFTP 7Zip – File archiving Utility MPlus OpenOffice MaxQDA SPSS ArcGIS R
- Documentation and Tutorials
PASW Statistics (SPSS)
- IBM SPSS Statistics 20 Features
- Programming and Data Management for IBM SPSS Statistics 19 – Guide
- Programming and Data Management for IBM SPSS Statistics 20 – Guide
- Programming and Data Management for IBM SPSS Statistics 20 – Examples
- IBM SPSS Statistics Data Sheet
- IBM SPSS Statistics Base