The Department of Sociology operates and maintains a computer lab for the use of graduate students in the department. This page contains information on the available University wide IT resources as well as the resources available in the graduate lab.
University Wide Resources
- Setting up your Johns Hopkins user and e-mail account
All sociology graduate students as well as faculty are assigned an account (user name and password) through the JHU Enterprise Directory (JHED).
- Log on to the JHU Portal at http://my.johnshopkins.edu. If you are using an on campus PC, you can find your logon ID by typing your last and first name in the search field at the top of the page. If you are off campus, email Nina Agopian (email@example.com) or the office staff and we will send you your logon ID.
- Enter it in the “First time log in” section. Follow the prompts to authenticate and set up a password.
- Once you are in, click on the Messaging icon on the left toolbar. You should see a link to your e-mail account. All graduate students are provided with Office 365 accounts. For details see Student Email. Faculty and staff are assigned Microsoft Exchange accounts. For additional details about the Microsoft Exchange accounts and to request one please contact Rick Sanchez.
- Click on the JHED icon and go to the e-mail alias link. You will see your default email address and the preset alias (LogonID@jhu.edu or LogonID@johnshopkins.edu). If you would like to change the alias to something else you can do it here.
- This will complete the setup process. You can access your mail through a web client or use a local e-mail client. You will need your JHED LID (logonID) and password to be able to log on.
- If you would like to use an e-mail client, detailed instructions as well as a Q&A is available at: http://www.it.johnshopkins.edu/services/email/
Passwords are assigned at the initial university account set up at http://my.johnshopkins.edu/ – click on the “First Time Logon” tab. If you need to change your password at a later time please go to http://my.johnshopkins.edu/, look for the “Forgot your password?” link under the “I need help section” on the right and use the “Reset my password” field to change your password. Please make sure you have read the password complexity requirements on the same page.
- Ref Works online citation manager
- Security and Antivirus @ JHU
- Homewood Student Virtual Desktop service – myJlab
The Homewood Student Virtual Desktop service provides access to university wide licensed software. myJLab is accessible at http://myjlab.jhu.edu [VPN connection is required].Additional information is available at:
Other Helpful Links
- Secure Connections – VPN
- Hopkins Technology Store
- Software Distribution and Licensing Center @ JHU
- Discounted Academic Software for faculty, staff and students [Restricted access, requires JHED ID and password to sign in]
- Adobe Connect – web-conferencing
- Wireless @ JHU
- JHBox (for faculty and staff) and OneDrive (for faculty, staff and students)
Graduate Computer Lab – Mergenthaler Hall 534:
The lab is administrated by Rick Sanchez. He can be reached by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 667-208-7169.
- ABSOLUTELY NO commercial software is to be installed on lab machines, except by lab personnel.
- Please check with the lab personnel before downloading any freeware. Any software of this kind should be removed by each user when they are done and the lab personnel notified.
- Tampering with current machine setups will not be tolerated.
- NO foreign hardware is to be used with lab machines without the express permission of the systems administrator.
- Admission to this lab is granted only to those who are faculty, staff, or graduate students in the Department of Sociology or by express permission of the Department.
- Students will not allow any person into the lab unless you know that they have been granted access.
- All users are expected to clean up after themselves. If trash removal becomes a problem, food and drink will not be allowed it the lab.
- Any action that violates state or federal laws, JHU’s Computing Ethics Policy or the Department’s Computing policy is strictly prohibited. Policies for use of technology resources are posted at: http://it.jhu.edu/policies
- Sociology Network Home Folder Content Rules (PDF)
- The lab will be closed every Friday from 8-9pm for routine cleaning and maintenance.
Failure to comply with the above rules will result in denial of access to the lab. Cases involving violations of University policy or applicable laws will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.
Computers: The Department of Sociology maintains a PC based network. Our PC Lan servers are Windows based. The computer lab is equipped with 8 Dell desktops running current versions of Windows OS. All workstations have Re-Writable CD/DVD ROM drives and accessible USB ports for key chain (memory stick) use. A scanner is attached to one of the desktops. Printers: The lab is equipped with two Laserjet printers. Loaner equipment: A tablet laptop and a portable projector are available from the main office upon request.
There is a variety of software available for use in the computer lab. If you would like to make suggestions or requests for additional software please send e-mail to Rick Sanchez. Most of the products listed below have a link to a site where you can either obtain information on using the product or on acquiring it for home use. Software is available on all machines unless otherwise noted. If you would like to purchase software for home use you can find out what’s available through the Hopkins ITS software catalog.
General Statistical Packages Networking Microsoft Office – Word, Excel, Access and Powerpoint Stata– Stage graphics editor and Stat-Transfer Firefox Endnote/Refworks HLM Internet Explorer Adobe Acrobat – PDF viewer or writer Lisrel Filezilla – FTP utility Microsoft Forefront Endpoint Protection SAS SSH/SFTP 7Zip – File archiving Utility MPlus OpenOffice MaxQDA SPSS ArcGIS R
- Documentation and Tutorials
PASW Statistics (SPSS)
- IBM SPSS Statistics 20 Features
- IBM SPSS Statistics Demos and Tutorials
- IBM SPSS Statistics Videos
- Programming and Data Management for IBM SPSS Statistics 19 – Guide
- Programming and Data Management for IBM SPSS Statistics 20 – Guide
- Programming and Data Management for IBM SPSS Statistics 20 – Examples
- IBM SPSS Statistics Data Sheet
- IBM SPSS Statistics Base